The purpose of the policy is to:
- Establish a framework through which effective, efficient and dynamic library and information services can be developed, managed and provided in a manner that meets teaching, learning, research and innovation needs of the University of Rwanda community and all stakeholders.
- Guide library staff in carrying out various library activities as far as possible, in a standard manner.
- Integrate the library Services with academic, research and other activities at the University of Rwanda to maximize the library's support of these activities.
- Encourage involvement of academic staff in the library and information service development and management in order to promote an understanding and appreciation of the service for sustainable maintenance of the best possible service.
- Provide direction, including requirements, standards and boundaries for conduct as well as consistent implementation of daily library operations for users and staff respectively.